Tuesday, May 28, 2013

MENTALLY STRONG




I COULD DIE
On Tuesday of this past week i was attacked by a pit bull. I walked from my apartment to my Landlords door, knocked, stepped back from the door and waited for him to answer. I was waiting patiently so i could tell him the washing machine was broken, instead i listened to his pit bull go crazy barking, growling, and jumping at the door. I was just about to walk a away..the dog busted down the door and i was facing the jaws of a hostile territorial pit bull. Before i could blink the pit bull ran up and attacked me ..i felt its teeth rip into my arm,  I wondered if the beast broke my arm, it quickly disappeared behind me and i felt the piercing of its fangs in my leg...the animal then circled to the front of me.  "OH MY GOD, I could die at the hands of this dog! I am going to have to fight for my life", I thought. In an instant I could feel my TERROR rise up from the pit of my stomach consume my senses, and i wanted to RUN. Suddenly I heard my father's voice "when an dog becomes aggressive BE STILL". 

KEEP CALM

I grew up with a Dad who was not only a Park Ranger but he  used to breed and train dogs to hunt. In this terrifying moment i had to trust his advice that he gave me as a little girl.   I began to talk to myself ..."you are not allowed to panic, the dog can sense your fear, you need to just breathe..inhale and exhale slowly, relax your body so the dog perceives you as non- threatening"  That Crossfit switch flipped in my head, where you know you can go past the pain, past your fear and I began to breathe to decompress just like i do right before i hear my coaches in crossfit say "3-2-1-GO!" I felt my body start loosen, I kept my eyes on the canine but kept my gaze lowered and i felt my severe anxiety start to recede . "OK Elisa, just breathe, you can do this, keep calm, think!" I start to pray "OK Lord, i am all alone here, there is no one ...no neighbours, no landlord, i don't even have my phone to call 911, no one can hear me, i have no weapons, .....i really need you to get the dog to back down. Please I don't want to die like this" "KEEP BREATHING, Elisa, KEEP CALM"

STRATEGY

In Crossfit I approach the WODS (workout of the day) by strategies how i will break down the workload into manageable sets so that i can finish. I  am thinking to myself "hmmm this animal weighs 50-75lbs", with that i began to remember how much i can lift overhead in crossfit, i realized i am stronger than this beast, and i do stand a fighting chance against this aggressive pit bull. The savage constantly growled but backed up to its front door(exactly what i just prayed for). I took a chance, with malicious animal watching me , i moved a toe length backwards.... I stood still,counted to 30, and noticed the creature did not become anymore belligerent. I repeated this pattern of movement til i reached my front door. I ripped the door to my apartment and grabbed paper towels to stop the bleeding and sobbed uncontrollably. My daughter Kaite just looked at me bewildered, "What happened to you?"

THE AFTERMATH

My first instinct was to keep calm and carry on...that's what crossfitters, moms, nurses do...right? My daughter Kaite temporarily dressed my bleeding wounds  and i didn't want her to miss crossfit...so i demanded amidst my sobs to go to crossfit. Kaite, was able to talk me down from the ledge and convinced me to go to the hospital to be examined....can anyone say shock? I know by the Grace OF GOD I am blessed to  have all my limbs, no chunks of muscle missing and i walked away with my life, but I was truly naive to think i would be OK. I never expected to have difficulty sleeping, nightmares, anxiety, panic attacks, feel overwhelmed just by doing simple chores around the house, difficulty concentrating, mood swings, not laugh or smile, have no appetite, want to sleep all the time, not want to leave my apt, I startle every time i hear the pit bull barking, not want to talk on the phone, to name a few of the symptoms i have. I am even afraid to Crossfit..its the fear of not knowing what i will i be able to do, i have an injured arm and leg! I know my physical and psychological injuries will take time to heal...its just hard for me i am used to being the nurse not the patient, the mom who takes care of everyone else not the one who needs to be taken care of, the friend who listens not the one who needs listening to, the experienced crossfitter who encourages everyone else not the one who will need the encouragement just to walk thru the door. I am a survivor, I will get thru all this stuff , my mom always said "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and she is right! I have a strong Faith in God, "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13...Yes I can. 

4 comments:

  1. You know what I felt while reading this? Vulnerable. Every day we are vulnerable and yet somehow seem to manage unscathed and most times too busy to even notice.
    We learn to walk by falling, ride a bike by skinning our knees, etc.
    This event brought to light how vulnerable you are, but please don't let this one event consume you. You enjoy life and relish in all it has to offer, the good and bad. Every day is an adventure to you. Sometimes you fall. Sometimes we miss the box jump ;-) and are wary to try again. But to deny ourselves moving forward and again not enjoying the things we love? No, that's not the stuff we are made of.
    Yes, we are vulnerable but we are stronger than it.

    Ok, I've rambled on senselessly. You get my drift.
    All my love to you Miss E!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the love and support now and always stacy! Writing this post i truly made myself vulnerable to all of you who read but i know its important for me to get my feelings up and out of my head to help me heal. Dont worry DNF(did not finish) is not in my vocabulary ...i will go forward!

      Delete
  2. Elisa, I am so impressed by your writing ability. While reading i could actually feel your fear. I could also relate to the after effects of that experience on you. I was in a bad car accident a couple of months ago and you were able to express all of the feelings that I too have been experiencing. I have to tell you that with time and through god it will get better. God Bless you.
    P.S. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tanya for the awesome& ultimate compliment! I am always surprised when people read my blog. I have always had the desire to write but kept this a secret within myself. It wasnt until some of the ladies in my crossfit box (the name crossfiters call the gym) were all having the same issues, that I had enough courage to make a leap of faith and put their concerns, which I had experienced also, into words. As i was writing this post i thought of you (and many others that i know), of our countrymen in the boston marathon, texas fire and recently in Oaklahoma and how our traumatic experiences differ but we all have the same symptoms of post-traumatic stress. We all have a choice to lay down and not get up or to walk thru. I am sharing my experience so it may give others hope and encouragement that they CAN walk thru! Thankyou so much for sharing that these feeling i have will get better! We both know that "time heals all wounds" as Health Professionals but we also now both know its so hard to experience and live thru. God Bless you too and know i am always praying for you!

      Delete